Getting the Nigeria Drivers License is quite easy and can be gotten within a day(temporary driving license) so far you meet the requirements. You can either apply for the Nigeria driving license online or by visiting the nearest FRSC office.
Nigeria Drivers License is the license that gives you the right to drive anywhere in Nigeria including the highways. It’s a must to have a driving license before you can start driving. Below is a full guide on the requirements, amounts, and how to get your Nigeria Driving Licence.
Nigeria Drivers License: Requirements and How Much It Cost
Whether you want to apply for your Nigeria driving license online or physically, it’s a must you have the following requirements before applying.
- Driving School Certificate With a Learner Permit
- VIO test Certificate
- Eye Test Certificate
- Birth Certificate
- Acknowledgment Slip for payment
Driving School Certificate and Learner Permit
Before you can decide to apply for a Nigeria drivers license, you must have obtained a certificate from an accredited driving school. This is important in learning the ropes and skills of driving with good knowledge of road signs. Especially from an expert and not just learning from someone.
You will be inspected by the Vehicle Inspection Officer after completing the required driving lessons. To ascertain your level of knowledge and proficiency.
Once you passed the test, a certificate will be issued to you with a learner’s permit. This is necessary to obtain your Nigeria Drivers license. Depending on the School, it usually costs at least N8000.
VIO Test Certificate
This is gotten from the Vehicle Inspection Office in the Driver Licence Commission(DLC) office. Mainly after your application. VIO Test certificate costs N1000
Eye Test Certificate
This is gotten from the FRSC-approved clinic after subjecting your eyes to the necessary test. It’s to confirm that you can see clearly and are fit to Drive. This cost nothing less than N500.
Birth Certificate/Declaration of Age From Court
It’s necessary to certify that you are above 18 years of age and can drive.
Acknowledgment Slip for payment
It serves as evidence of payment.
How To Apply For A Nigeria Driver Licence
You can apply for your drivers license in Nigeria by visiting the FRSC office nearest to you or doing so online.
1. By Visiting the Nearest Federal Road Safety Commission(FRSC) Office
- Visit the nearest FRSC office in your town or city.
- Tender your driving certificate, license permit, and date of birth.
- Request for driving license application form
- Fill the form with the required personal details including age, name, and so on.
- You will be given an account number to pay for the license fee after. Note: Depending on your choice of license validity; a Nigeria Drivers license valid for 5 years costs N30,000.
- You will be given a payment acknowledgment Slip after paying. We advise you to take your application form with you when going to the bank. Because you will need the application form ID for the payment.
- After payment, proceed to the VIO office in the DLC to tender all your documents for confirmation and for the certificate.
- Visit the Eye Clinic in the DLC or FRSC office for your test and Certificate also
- Go back to the FRSC/DLC office where you obtained the application form.
- Submit the photocopies of all the requirements listed above to obtain your Nigeria Driver’s License
- You will also be captured for Biometric data including fingerprint, age, and other details.
After completing all these steps, you will be issued a temporary Nigerian driver’s license. This is only valid for 60 days pending the time your permanent driving license will be ready.
2. By Applying on the Nigeria Driving License Website
- Visit the Nigeria driving license website – https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org/
- Click on DL (Driver License) Application on the website
- From all the various options displayed, click on New Driver’s License
- You will be taken to a page where you are expected to fill in your driving school certificate number.
- Fill in all the required details on the form displayed after
- Pay the license fee online using your Debit Card.
- Print out an Acknowledgement slip displayed to certify you have paid the license fee.
- Take the acknowledgment slip with other requirements to the FRSC office and complete all the physical tests.
- Then you will be issued your temporary Driver’s license in Nigeria which is valid for 60 days.
After 60 days, you can then go back to get your Nigeria Driver’s license. Now, you can drive anywhere in Nigeria!
How Much Does Nigeria’s Driver License Cost?
Almost every certificate on the requirements list for obtaining a driver’s license in Nigeria costs some money including the license itself. Here’s a breakdown of the cost of a Nigeria Driving license.
- Driving School Certificate With a Learner Permit cost N8000 (depending on the School).
- VIO test Certificate costs N1000
- Eye Test Certificate cost N500
- The driving License Fee cost N30,000.
The total cost of getting a Driver’s license in Nigeria costs at least 30,000 or even more depending on the FRSC office in your state.
We hope you find this detailed guide on acquiring a Nigeria Driving license helpful. Do well to check out our post on How To Renew Your FRSC Drivers License too.